About Me

I am studying abroad in Trivandrum, Kerala in India for three weeks. The course is about eco-sensitive housing with Jerry Anthony as the professor.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Town Planning, Daycare, Mithraniketan, and Tree Climbing

The day began at the LBC with a lecture on town planning from Mr. A. Kasturi Rangan who is the Chief planner for the state of Kerala.  Most of the students on the trip are in the Urban and Regional Planning graduate program and they all loved the lecture.  While I thought it was interesting, I don't really know much about the planning processes in the U.S., so it was hard for me to make comparisons.     But now I can tell you all about the planning process in Kerala!

After the lecture we had snacks and then walked to a government funded daycare that was down the road from the LBC.  The kids were aged 3-6 and so cute!  They sang about their toys for us, but were quiet so it was hard to hear.  There was one girl who was not happy with all of these giant weird looking people walking in her daycare and smiling at her.  She started crying and hid in another room the whole time.  I felt bad for her.

Then we went to a boarding school: Mitraniketan.  We had a talk with K. Viswanathan, the founder of the school and he told us all about his idea when he was forming the school.  We then toured some of the campus and went to the bakery where we tasted some of the delicious bread they make.

Bread. Nom.

It was kind of like a jelly filled doughnut with a pineapple jam


We also watched this man make pottery.  He was so efficient and was able to do it so fast.  I was pretty impressed.


Finished products.


Before we went home, we stopped and saw people climbing coconut trees!  That's how they pick the coconuts!  It was rather impressive.



On our drive back to the hotel, our driver pulled over to this reservoir where he wanted to show us these giant fish.  He even bought food to throw for them.  It was very sweet and he seemed so excited to show us.  Apparently they are temple fish and so fishing is not allowed in that area.  I was not disappointed;  they were huge fish.






And, of course, I saw more beautiful flowers:



2 comments:

  1. The bread looks delicious! Espcially the pineapple filled one! I wish you could bring back some of the food with you. What was the daycare like? I'm quite curious about that- espcially their standards for child care versus our standards. I'm sure they are differnt. I wish I could have seen the fish a little better- the pictures don't show the size very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bread was so delicious! I thought about trying to do that, but I didn't know how well it would travel. The daycare was decent. Unfortunately, this daycare did not have an outdoor area for the kids to play. I don't know what other daycares in India are like, so I'm not exactly sure about the standards. This daycare was for low-income families and is state funded so it is probably not at the top of the charts. But there are toys to play with and they have snack time and nap time just like our daycares. They learn songs and the alphabet and do things that 3-6 year olds do. Yeah, it was hard to take pictures of the fish because the water wasn't clear. But they were huge!

    ReplyDelete