About Me

I am studying abroad in Trivandrum, Kerala in India for three weeks. The course is about eco-sensitive housing with Jerry Anthony as the professor.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Best House Ever


Today, we listened to two lectures at the Laurie Baker Center.  Shailaja gave the first lecture on architecture and choice of materials, methods and technologies.  The next lecture was an introduction to Shailaja’s house because we were going to tour it.  Before we toured her house, which I’ve officially decided to move into, we watched ladies of the Self Employed Woman’s Association (SEWA) at the Laurie Baker Center make paper.  Laurie Bakers daughter was highly involved in SEWA.  The women who come here are taught skills for service work or do work.


Water is mixed with cotton, paper waste, dye, and sometimes thread for texture to make pulp.


The process of making sheets of pulp.  Then they press it to squeeze out excess water and let it dry for a couple of days.


Self Employed Woman's Association 

After all our lectures at the Laurie Baker Center, we toured Laurie Bakers house, which is now headquarters for COSTFORD.  

Laurie Baker's house from front.


Images of Laurie Baker throughout the house




His desk in his room




Lastly, we went to Shailaja’s house.  The house was built using all sustainable, local, and some repurposed material.  She also has a bio-digester system similar to what I mentioned in the last post.  When you walk up to her house, you first walk through a sitting area that she designed for guests when she doesn't want to entertain inside of her home.  Then the bridge takes you to the front door where you walk into the living area.  The inside of the house is a much cooler temperature than outside and looks awesome!

She has a bridge on her house. A bridge.


Looking toward her front door from the road.


Shailaja looking down from the sitting area.


Her view.


The "tower".


Inside


Trap door down to the water catchment tank.  They have a system of catching rainwater, storing it in the tank, filtering, and using it for various needs around the house.


Design on the floor.  She said it reminds her of Laurie Baker


View of the house from the topmost "loft" area of the tower.


Living area.


Kitchen


Looking at sitting area from the front door.


Poster in her house.


We had coconut water!


For dinner, some of us girls ate on the rooftop restaurant.  We were missing some good old fried food, so all but two ordered the fish and chips.  And let me tell you, it was wonderful.  I’m not sure if it was actually great or if I was just missing fried food that much.  It’s hard to tell.  Fried food and great conversation = bliss. 


So, I had a sore throat and thought “I need some salt so I can gargle salt water”.  I called down to the front desk and asked for some salt and they said okay.  A few minutes later, someone comes up with soap.  I then have to explain that I want salt: S-A-L-T.  Now they’re thinking I’m some bizarre American who just wants to gnaw on some salt as a snack.  A few minutes later, another man comes to the door.  I open it and he has a serving tray with a bowl and spoon.  He walks in, sets it on the table and walks out.  Fancy, I know.  Then later, the same guy comes back with his tray and wants to clear up the bowl as if I was eating the salt like a meal. 

Proof.




And my flower of the day.  This was at the Laurie Baker Center.  



1 comment:

  1. I see why you want to move into that house! Beautiful and reminded me of you! The salt part made me laugh- I may have to occasionaly send you salt as a joke.

    ReplyDelete